This project is read-only.

SqlCompact Store - Long value data type cannot be indexed

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:50 AM

Hi,

I'm working through the Retina.NET QuickStart Guide and have hit a problem (Latest Retina.NET, VS 2008, .NET3.5 - and VB.)

I want to use a Compact SQL back-end for storage.  Initially I had a problem where storeBuilder.Create wouldn't create an SDF file, giving an Object not set to instance (etc.) error.  I got around that by using the SqlServerCe.SqlCeEngine to create the SDF file.

Now, the code's failing when attempting to create the table - 

storeBuilder.CreateTable(GetType(myEntity), True)

... fails with "Long value data type cannot be indexed".

The entity I'm attempting to store is identical to that in the QuickStart (pages 8 to 9)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:20 PM

An update -

I'm guessing the problem is with Retina trying to create an index on the guid-type row id column.  I thought SQLCompact supported this?  If not, is there an IdGenerator which implements numeric ID columns?  How have other people used Retina with SQLCompact databases?

Thanks,

Chris

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Ok - I've fixed this:

The constructor for the SQL Compact DataStore wasn't instantiating the database engine for all overloads.  Once I added that in, the database file was created correctly.  From then on, I didn't get the "Long value data type.." error.

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Thanks for your time, the SQL Compact DataStore is not really fully tested, so I will fix this in the next release.

Best regards,

Andres. 

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:46 PM

That's great -- thanks!

By the way, great work on Retina.NET!  I've been playing with Ruby on Rails for a bit, and have been wishing there was something as straight-forward for entity persistence in .NET -- so I'm pleased I discovered Retina!

Cheers,
Chris