Status?

Developer
May 7, 2007 at 11:32 AM
Hello,

I am using Retina ( 2.0beta) in a number of projects, after eliminating some small mistakes ;-)

I have improved the speed and created some helpers and implemented a DataStore
for the MS SqlCompact.

I will do a german article in a german forum this or the next week,.
The artikel will end with an integration into CAB.
I am willing to translate it to english later.

Did you do some work on the version 2 0?
Maybe we could put together our efforts.
Coordinator
May 15, 2007 at 3:05 AM
I would love to.
I have started some heavy refactoring in Retina.Net 2.0 for incorporating generics, but I haven't finished that yet.
I will try to upload the latest source code I have and let's start from that.
Thanks!
Andrés.
Developer
May 15, 2007 at 6:35 AM
Hello Andrés,

ok, so I will finish that Artikel with a binary version of mine, and will update that later with the source.

I will also make a list of things I have found and changed, like DynamicMethod instead of Reflection ....

regards
Frank
Coordinator
May 15, 2007 at 2:15 PM
Thanks, if you want to include the article (or link) in this site I think that would be a good idea.

I just uploaded the latest sources for Retina.NET, and they are a work in progress.
I started to refactor everything to support generics (generic child collections, generic methods for retrieve, search, etc) but the code still doesn't compile.
I will try to get that working so we can start to thinking about including the new features you mention.
Again, thanks,
Andrés.
Developer
May 25, 2007 at 6:25 PM
I'have read through some of the code, and found the same small things, that are there since V1 ;-)

I will be on holidays for 2 weeks to spain, and write down all the small things.

As a replacement for the entityset you should consider something that implements IBindingList.
And the Entity or a successor should implement IDataErrorInfo and INotifyPropertyChanged.

I have implementet both and will include somethings when I'm back.


Coordinator
Jun 4, 2007 at 4:36 AM
Edited Jun 4, 2007 at 4:36 AM
Yeah, as I said before I'm concentrating in making the project compile and run after all the refactor for implementing Generics.
Any other improvement will be most welcome.
Best regards,
Andrés.
Developer
Jun 22, 2007 at 8:06 PM
Hi Andrés,

I just wanted to ask if you know when the next release will be published?

Thank you very much in advance.
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2007 at 11:51 PM
I really don't have a release date....
If I have to do everything myself I would say 2 or 3 more months, less if I can concentrate on the core and somebody helps me with the rest.
Andres.


burningsnow wrote:
Hi Andrés,

I just wanted to ask if you know when the next release will be published?

Thank you very much in advance.

Developer
Jun 26, 2007 at 9:31 AM
I wrote you an E-Mail after my post for helping you at this project. Just write me a few lines how to help you.


andresv wrote:
I really don't have a release date....
If I have to do everything myself I would say 2 or 3 more months, less if I can concentrate on the core and somebody helps me with the rest.
Andres.


burningsnow wrote:
Hi Andrés,

I just wanted to ask if you know when the next release will be published?

Thank you very much in advance.


Coordinator
Jul 3, 2007 at 1:44 AM
Thanks a lot for the good disposition. I´m currently trying to make the new 2.0 Core to compile, so there is not much to do there, but you can certainly help with the following (to start):

  1. Help documents, Quick Start
  2. Unit Testings
  3. Modify and Recompile existing sample projects
  4. More Sample projects, code snippets

best regards,
Andrés.


burningsnow wrote:
I wrote you an E-Mail after my post for helping you at this project. Just write me a few lines how to help you.


andresv wrote:
I really don't have a release date....
If I have to do everything myself I would say 2 or 3 more months, less if I can concentrate on the core and somebody helps me with the rest.
Andres.


burningsnow wrote:
Hi Andrés,

I just wanted to ask if you know when the next release will be published?

Thank you very much in advance.



Developer
Jul 3, 2007 at 6:47 AM
If I know what changes are made from 1.0.8.0 to 2.0, I think that there will be no problem for doing this. Just give me some feedback for the 2.0 version so I can start using it and doing the stuff.
Coordinator
Jul 3, 2007 at 1:23 PM
For now I'm just trying to implement Generics (Generic methods for the high level API and Generic Child Collection).
After that, I was thinking about imlementing LCG to replace the use of reflection when persisting or loading an entity, other ideas I was playing with were making a graphical designer (DSL) for entities and relationships (I have made some experiments on that) and making the "EntityGen" project more robust and converting it to an VS Addin. Other future ideas include integration with LINQ (creating a LINK provider) for .NET 3.5 currently in beta.

All this changes are more internal than external, and the source code changes required from v1 to v2 will be minor, so you can (more or less) start working in the v1 and then migrate that code to the final v2 when available.
What do you think?

Andrés.


burningsnow wrote:
If I know what changes are made from 1.0.8.0 to 2.0, I think that there will be no problem for doing this. Just give me some feedback for the 2.0 version so I can start using it and doing the stuff.

Developer
Jul 4, 2007 at 7:55 AM
That sound very good. If you need help with EntityGen it would be great to help you with this, too.

I started doing some testings with the v1 and looking forward for v2.


andresv wrote:
For now I'm just trying to implement Generics (Generic methods for the high level API and Generic Child Collection).
After that, I was thinking about imlementing LCG to replace the use of reflection when persisting or loading an entity, other ideas I was playing with were making a graphical designer (DSL) for entities and relationships (I have made some experiments on that) and making the "EntityGen" project more robust and converting it to an VS Addin. Other future ideas include integration with LINQ (creating a LINK provider) for .NET 3.5 currently in beta.

All this changes are more internal than external, and the source code changes required from v1 to v2 will be minor, so you can (more or less) start working in the v1 and then migrate that code to the final v2 when available.
What do you think?

Andrés.


burningsnow wrote:
If I know what changes are made from 1.0.8.0 to 2.0, I think that there will be no problem for doing this. Just give me some feedback for the 2.0 version so I can start using it and doing the stuff.


Coordinator
Jul 4, 2007 at 6:31 PM
Great! EntityGen is a good starting point.
Thanks a lot. I will give you access to the project source files.
Best regards,
Andrés.
Developer
Jul 5, 2007 at 9:16 AM
As you wrote you want to devleop an graphical designer for entities and relationships. The current version from the source files is "just" a code generator for SQL server. So this is not for a completly new project. Where can I find your "experiment" for this work item? Did you uploaded it?

Do you have any Instant Messenger Account? Would be better for short questions.
Coordinator
Jul 24, 2007 at 5:14 PM
You can find me on GTalk (andresvettori@gmail.com) and sometimes on Messenger (a_vettori@hotmail.com).
Andrés.


burningsnow wrote:
As you wrote you want to devleop an graphical designer for entities and relationships. The current version from the source files is "just" a code generator for SQL server. So this is not for a completly new project. Where can I find your "experiment" for this work item? Did you uploaded it?

Do you have any Instant Messenger Account? Would be better for short questions.